October 5, 2011

DAY 13...Rollin' Rollin' Rollin'


We woke a little late this morning...7:15am! Must have been fatigued from the climbing yesterday. I rose from bed gingerly and, as expected, felt the sting of soreness radiate through my quads. Desperately my muscles were trying to tell my brain to STAY IN BED... and do NOT RIDE. Ha ha. Fat chance!

The morning was brisk. 38 degrees! We layered up but knew it was likely we would be stripping some layers once we warmed up and the outside temperature rose. Despite my soreness, once I started pedaling I actually felt pretty good, much better than I did yesterday morning! We cruised through the first 30 miles of rolling hills although hit a few "walls" of wind whipping in our face at about 20 mph. Something I think will become a theme once we starting heading due west.

We were hoping to come across another little restaurant for lunch but had no such luck. Chips, banana and soda for lunch. The temperature certainly did climb. Over 70 degrees. We tore off our leg/arm warmers and base layers, wrapped them around our waist, jammed them into jersey pockets and pedaled on. Tomorrow we must remember to bring a saddle bag to put clothes in! The afternoon was sunny and hot and the landscape was beautiful. We passed many farms and the roads were quiet (although the pavement was old and bumpy) and we hit some steep climbs. Finally, after mile 66 the roads became smooth and the hills were less abrupt, more rolling. We flew through the final 14 miles averaging about 18 mph. What a nice way to end the ride!

Today we rode 80 miles from Lexington, VA to Christianburg, VA. 860 miles in 13 days. Tomorrow Chip leaves us to head back to Long Island. We are sad to see him go. He was a great help and fun to be around. Thanks Chip!


2 comments:

  1. Berger ~ it looks beautiful ~ just like you! Wishing I could meet you along the route to cheer you on! I'll be woo hooin for you on Sunday at the race!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey V! You CAN meet us along the way! Wish you would! Good luck on Sunday. Will be thinking of you and the rest of the gang, and of course, AWal. xoxo

    ReplyDelete