October 8, 2011

Day 15...Let it Roll

Foggy Morning in Damascus, VA


I never thought I’d say this, but today’s 60 mile ride was a breeze. I woke up sore and very apprehensive about how I would perform today after feeling so beat up yesterday.  The day started off quite cool with a dense fog hovering over Wytheville.  We took off up Route 11 and shivered our way for the next 60 minutes until the sun finally burned her way through the fog. Arm warmers off then shortly leg warmers came off.  Surprisingly, we both felt great.

We made a quick stop for lunch and took off again and, before we knew it, rolled into Damascus, VA. We took our bikes directly to a local bike shop for a tune up. We met some great characters in the store who were kind, funny and generous. Jim met us there. He had found a campground a few miles out of town and brought the jeep, a change of clothes and the laundry.

We ate a fantastic meal at the Whistle Pig Café, got the laundry done and shot back to the RV at  Mount Rogers camp ground for a shower and a look at the maps.  977 miles down. Tomorrow, we will leave the state of VA and enter Tennessee! Yee Haw!

Close up of 1 brick


Brick side walk in Damascus
Part of the Appalachian Trail!
Bike Store in Damascus

2 comments:

  1. Berger! sounds awesome....Hi to Kev and Jim....We miss you! Serpents Back Race tomorrow..I'll be thinking of you as I cuss my way up Death Valley! I am in the process of buying lotto tix so that I can meet you guys in AZ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey V! Good luck tomorrow. You don't need a lotto ticket to get your butt out here ya know...Mo can come too! xoxo

    ReplyDelete